As Scholars, physicians demonstrate a lifelong commitment to reflective learning, as well as to the dissemination, application, and translation of medical knowledge.*
Medical school is the beginning of a lifelong journey from novice to mastering a domain of expertise. During training, learners recognize the need to be continually learning. Through scholarly activities, learners contribute to the creation, dissemination, application, and translation of medical knowledge.*
- Develop a plan for personal continued education
- Describe the principles of maintaining competence
- Use self-awareness in assessing competence, including reflection on personal practice
- Evaluate personal learning outcomes (seek feedback from teachers, other health professionals, and other sources)
- Document the personal learning process
- Apply principles of research and information management to learning and practice
- Describe the principles of evidence-based medicine
- Retrieve information from appropriate sources
- Evaluate information resources in order to select the best source for the information needed.
- Formulate a specific question in order to guide the design of the information search.
- Search the literature efficiently for evidence in order to answer a research or clinical question.
- Assess the quality of information, using principles of critical appraisal:
- its relevance and importance
- the appropriateness of its methodology
- its conformity to ethical standards
- Integrate retrieved information into clinical practice
- Accept complexity, uncertainty, and ambiguity as part of medical practice
- Apply the principles of screening and be able to evaluate the utility of a proposed screening intervention, including being able to discuss the potential for lead-time bias and length-prevalence bias and measurement issues (validity, sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value, negative predictive value, bias, confounding, error, reliability)
- Facilitate the learning of others as part of professional responsibility (patients, health professionals, society)
- Disseminate new information as it becomes available
* The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. .