Why request a source verification of a medical credential?
What medical credentials are acceptable?
How to create a source verification request (SVR) for a medical credential?
What are the steps to take before sending your documents to the MCC?
The Canadian medical regulatory authorities and other medical organizations require that physicians have verified credentials.
- Visit or contact the appropriate medical organization’s website to review their requirements.
- Medical degree or diploma
- Medical degree transcript
- Postgraduate training
- Specialty certificate
- Medical license or registration
The following documents will not be accepted:
- letters of employment/work experience
- letters of recommendation
- certificates or letters of ongoing training (training not yet completed)
- language training document
- statements of examination results (e.g., for USMLE)
- curriculum vitae
- Canadian medical credentials
- Log into physiciansapply.ca or register for an account.
- From your account, click on Source verification requests on the left panel.
- Then click on Create a new SVR in the centre panel and follow the instructions on each page to complete your SVR.
- Create a SVR for each medical credential you are required to have source verified.
- You will be required to pay a document fee for each medical credential that you will be submitting.
- Payments can only be made through your account by credit card (Visa or MasterCard).
- You must submit a copy of your medical credentials with the appropriate cover sheet and Consent to Release Information for Credentials Verification (both cover sheets and Consent to Release are provided in your account).
- If you send your original medical credentials and/or identity documents, they will not be returned to you.
- You will be required to print the cover sheets and attach them to the appropriate medical credentials.
- If your medical credentials are in a language other than English or French, a translation will be required.
- Your documents must then be sent to the MCC. We recommend that the documents be sent by courier so that you can track them.
- You must complete and pay for a source verification request (SVR), through your physiciansapply.ca account, for each medical credential you are submitting
- All medical credentials must be accompanied by a cover sheet
Documents received without a completed and paid SVR will be destroyed 30 days after the date you started the SVR process.
If you are submitting documents to apply for an examination, see Examinations for additional information.