The Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination Part II assesses the knowledge, skills, and attitudes essential for medical licensure in Canada prior to entry into independent clinical practice.
This examination consists of a series of clinical stations including pilot stations that do not count towards a candidate’s total score. At each station, a brief written statement introduces a clinical problem and directs the candidate to appropriately examine a standardized (simulated) patient as well as perform activities such as:
- obtaining a focused history
- conducting a focused physical examination
- assessing and addressing the patient’s issues
- answering specific questions related to the patient
- interpreting x-rays or the results of other investigations
- making a diagnosis
- writing admission orders
This examination includes problems in Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Preventive Medicine and Community Health, Psychiatry and Surgery, as well as in similar disciplines considered essential for competence in general medicine and health care.
Application to the fall 2016 MCCQE Part II
We are introducing a new application process that will enhance access and fairness while still addressing limited capacity. We will be opening a “pre-application period” where candidates will be able to indicate their interest in applying to the fall 2016 exam by adding their name to a pre-application list through their physiciansapply.ca account.
Following the close of the pre-application period, we will proceed with a random selection of candidates from the pre-application list. The number of selected candidates will be based on available exam capacity, which will be distributed across the different candidate groups. If you are selected, you will receive an invitation to apply to the exam.
Main pre-application period – approximately April 21, 2016 to May 18, 2016
- Candidates can add their name to the pre-application list at any time with the exception of:
- Candidates who will be completing 12 months of postgraduate clinical medical training after the date of the exam (October 29, 2016). See Application and eligibility for more information
- Candidates who have taken or will take the spring 2016 MCCQE Part I or MCCQE Part II (see below)
Main application period – approximately May 25, 2016 to June 10, 2016
- We will be randomly selecting candidates from the pre-application list and inviting candidates to apply throughout this period
Pre-application for candidates awaiting spring 2016 results – June 2016
- Pre-application process will be launched following June results
Examination at a glance
|Dates||Fee||Application information||Examination centres*||Results|
The pre-application period is now closed.
Spring 2016 exam candidates will have a separate pre-application process following June result releases.
|Alta.||Calgary (E), Edmonton (E)||Spring session:
Results for the spring session will be available by the end of June.
Results for the fall session will be available by the end of December.
|B.C.||Victoria (E), Vancouver (E)|
|N.L.||St. John’s (E)|
|Ont.||Hamilton (E), Kingston (E), London (E), Ottawa (E), Sudbury (E), Toronto (E)|
|Que.||Montreal I (E), Montreal II (F), Quebec (F), Sherbrooke (F)|
*The centres are subject to change.
- For information regarding centre assignment, please visit the Centre selection page
- The MCCQE Part II centres are not bilingual; each centre is designated as either English (E) or French (F)
- Candidates will be scheduled for two short sessions over the two days of the weekend
|Session||Exam dates||Expected application opening timeframe|
|Spring 2017||May 6 and 7||Fall 2016|
Notice for spring 2017 MCCQE Part II – Pre-application
To receive a notice when pre-application opens for the spring 2017 MCCQE Part II, please submit your email address below. The MCC will send this notification to your email address and not through your physiciansapply.ca account. The MCC cannot guarantee that the email notification will reach your inbox.