Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination Part II
You must take and pass the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE) Part II to obtain the Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC). Canadian medical regulatory authorities may require you to have the LMCC to apply for a medical licence within their province or territory.
Stay up to date
Receive notification for pre-application to a future session.Subscribe
What is the MCCQE Part II?
The MCCQE Part II is a two-day examination that assesses the knowledge, skills, and attitudes essential for medical licensure in Canada prior to entry into independent clinical practice.
This examination consists of a series of clinical stations including pilot stations that do not count towards your total score. At each station, a brief written statement introduces a clinical problem and directs you to appropriately examine a standardized (simulated) patient as well as perform activities such as:
- obtaining a focused history
- conducting a focused physical examination
- assessing and addressing the patient’s issues
- answering specific questions related to the patient
- interpreting x-rays or the results of other investigations
- making a diagnosis
- writing admission orders
This examination includes problems in:
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Preventive Medicine and Community Health
as well as in similar disciplines considered essential for competence in general medicine and health care.
You can take the MCCQE Part II in either English or French at a centre that offers the exam in that language.
How do I take the MCCQE Part II?
Applying to the MCCQE Part II is different than applying for other MCC exams. Because capacity is limited for each session, the process explained below will help us to provide access to as many candidates as possible. If you are interested in taking the MCCQE Part II, the following STEPS are required:
1. You must add your name to the pre-application list – The pre-application period is now open and will remain open until 11:59 p.m., Eastern Time (ET) on May 23, 2017.
If you are eligible, you must add your name to the pre-application list through your physiciansapply.ca account at any time during the pre-application period between April 24 and May 23, 2017.
Please note the following exceptions for the fall 2017 session:
- If you will be completing your first 12 months of postgraduate clinical medical training after the date of the exam (October 28, 2017), you will not be able to take the exam this session as capacity needs to be allocated to candidates further along in their training/career. See Application and eligibility for more information.
- If you are taking the spring 2017 MCCQE Part I or MCCQE Part II, you will have an opportunity to add your name to the pre-application list after you receive your spring exam results in June 2017. We will contact you through your physiciansapply.ca account with more details about this process after you receive your exam results.
Note: Adding your name to the pre-application list does not represent a completed application.
2. Wait to receive an invitation to apply; invitations will be sent starting May 26, 2017
We will randomly select candidates from the pre-application list. The number of selected candidates will be based on available exam capacity, which will be distributed across the different candidate groups. Monitor your physiciansapply.ca account on a regular basis for further updates. If you do not receive an invitation to apply for the fall 2017 session, you will need to wait to pre-apply to a future session.
3. Complete and pay for your application to the exam if you receive our invitation to apply
If you are one of the selected candidates, you will receive a message through your physiciansapply.ca account inviting you to apply before a specified deadline. After receiving this message, please complete and pay for your exam application through your physiciansapply.ca account. Your application is only complete once you have paid the exam fees and received a transaction confirmation message.
Examination at a glance
Below is additional information on the upcoming MCCQE Part II session.
|Fall 2017 MCCQE Part II
Dates: Oct. 28 and 29
|Examination centres*||Application information||Results|
Calgary (E), Edmonton (E)
The pre-application period for eligible candidates to add their name to a list will remain open until 11:59 p.m., ET on May 23, 2017.
Spring 2017 exam candidates will have a separate period to add their name to a pre-application list following June result releases.
Results for the spring session will be available by the end of June.
Results for the fall session will be available by the end of December.
Victoria (E), Vancouver (E)
St. John’s (E)
Hamilton (E), Kingston (E), London (E), Ottawa (E), Sudbury (E), Toronto (E)
Montreal I (E), Montreal II (F), Quebec (F), Sherbrooke (F)
*The centres are subject to change.
The MCCQE Part II centres are not bilingual; each centre is designated as either English (E) or French (F). For information regarding centre assignment, please visit the Centre selection page.
Proposed future MCCQE Part II dates
Please find below additional information on the proposed future MCCQE Part II dates.
|Sessions||Exam dates||Expected application opening timeframe|
|Spring 2018||May 5 and 6||Fall 2017|
|Fall 2018||October 27 and 28||Spring 2018|
Will the MCCQE Part II change?
As of 2018 and 2019, we will be making changes to our examination program, impacting all examinations including the MCCQE Part II. For more information on these changes, please visit mccevolution.ca.