The Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination Part I (MCCQE) Part I is a one-day, computer-based test that assesses the competence of candidates who have obtained their medical degree, for entry into supervised clinical practice in postgraduate training programs. The MCCQE Part I assesses knowledge, clinical skills and attitudes as outlined by the Medical Council of Canada (MCC) Objectives.
The candidate is allowed up to 3 ½ hours in the morning session to complete 196 multiple-choice questions. The candidate is allowed 4 hours in the afternoon session for the clinical decision making component, which consists of short-menu and short-answer write-in questions.
|Dates||Fee||Application information||Examination centres*||Results|
||$980|| Main deadline:
Thu, Jan. 8
|Mon, Apr. 27
to Fri, May 1
Mon, May 4
to Fri, May 8
Mon, May 11
Thu, Jan. 8:
$170 late fee)Applications after
Tue, Jan. 20:
50% late fee)
|B.C.||Kelowna, Prince George, Vancouver, Victoria|
|Ont.||Hamilton, Kingston, London, Mississauga, Ottawa, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, Toronto|
|Que.||Chicoutimi, Montreal, Quebec, Sherbrooke, Trois-Rivières|
|See Late applications.||Eligibility requirements, see Application and eligibility.|
*The centres are subject to change.
Clarification regarding examination centres, dates and language:
- For information regarding date selection, visit Scheduling
- The number of days a particular centre runs depends on the maximum daily space capacity and the demand for that centre
- The number of days and specific dates a centre runs vary from centre to centre
- The specific days a centre runs depend on a number of factors including availability of its computer labs and may not necessarily be consecutive days
- The examination may be taken in either English or French at any centre. However, staff and technical support may be limited to a specific language.
- Centres in Quebec and New Brunswick will offer support primarily in French, whereas centres in the rest of the country offer support primarily in English. The exceptions are the Ottawa and Montreal centres, which offer support in both official languages.
Proposed future MCCQE Part I dates
|Session||Proposed dates (to be confirmed)||Expected application opening timeframe|
|Fall 2015||Oct. 26 to Nov. 5||May 2015|
Application to future MCCQE Part I examination sessions
If you would like to be notified when registration to future examination sessions opens, submit your email address by clicking on the button below. Please note that the notification will not be sent through candidates’ physiciansapply.ca accounts – it will be sent to the email address that has been provided. This is an added service that the MCC is providing therefore it is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure the correct email address has been entered. It is also the candidate’s responsibility to monitor his or her email account. The MCC cannot guarantee that the email notification will reach the candidate’s inbox.