The Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination (MCCEE) is a four-hour, computer-based examination offered in both English and French at more than 500 centres in 80 countries worldwide. International medical students or U.S. osteopathic students in the final 20 months of their program and international medical school graduates or U.S. osteopathic graduates must take the MCCEE as a prerequisite for eligibility to the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examinations.
The MCCEE is a general assessment of the candidate’s basic medical knowledge in the principal disciplines of medicine. It is also designed to assess the skills and knowledge required at the level of a new medical graduate who is about to enter the first year of supervised postgraduate training.
The computer-based MCCEE consists of 180 multiple-choice questions, each listing five possible answers of which only one is the correct or best answer. The MCCEE questions cover the following domains: Child Health, Maternal Health, Adult Health, Mental Health, and Population Health and Ethics. A number of questions in the examination also have a focus on general practice. You can view an example of a multiple-choice question.
Examination at a glance
|Upcoming session dates*||Fee||Scheduling for these examination dates|
Scheduling for a particular examination date closes
See below for more information on the scheduling
|Sept. 9 – 27, 2013|
|Oct. 28 – Nov. 8, 2013|
|Jan. 6 – 19, 2014|
|Feb. 24 – March 9, 2014|
|May 5 – 25, 2014|
|Sept. 8 to 28, 2014|
|Oct. 27 to Nov. 9, 2014|
* generally Mondays through Fridays; some sites may run on Saturdays and/or Sundays
- Application to the MCCEE is ongoing. While there are no deadlines for applying to the MCCEE, there are deadlines for scheduling an examination date and time once your MCCEE application is accepted.
- Please visit the Examination fees and services page for MCCEE fees.
- View the list of countries where the MCCEE is offered. The centres (i.e. test sites) are operated by Prometric, the service provider that the MCC has contracted for scheduling and administering the computer-based MCCEE.
- When preparing for the MCCEE, candidates can use exam preparation resources including the Self Administered Evaluating Examination, which is an online practice examination, and the MCCEE Online Demo.
- To review the eligibility requirements, see the Application information page.