Application and Eligibility
Limited exam attempts starting in January 2018
Beginning in January 2018, you may take the MCCQE Part II up to a maximum of four times. You cannot retake the exam if you have a pass result. A one-year waiting period will be required between the third and fourth attempt. After four attempts, in exceptional personal circumstances, you can request to the CEC for special permission to make a fifth attempt.
Exam attempts before 2018 do not count towards the total limit; the count will start in 2018. As well, a result of “no standing” will not count as an attempt. However, failing or a status of “denied standing” will be considered attempts.
To be eligible for the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE) Part II:
- you must have passed the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE) Part I.
- your final medical degree diploma must be successfully source verified.*
- you must have completed a minimum of 12 months of postgraduate clinical medical training (PGT) or osteopathic postgraduate training, or will be completing it by the following deadline:
- On or before June 30 for the spring exam of the same calendar year
- On or before December 31 for the fall exam of the same calendar year
* For Canadian medical graduates, confirmation of graduation is received directly from the Canadian faculties of medicine.
Please note the following exceptions for the May 2019 session:
- If you are taking the fall 2018 MCCQE Part I or MCCQE Part II, you will have an opportunity to add your name to the pre-application list, if eligible, after you receive your fall 2018 results. We will send you a message through your physiciansapply.ca account with more details about this process after you receive your exam results.
- If you are in your first year of residency (PGY-1), you can add your name to the pre-application list during the main pre-application period. We will be randomly selecting PGY-1 candidates from the pre-application list after capacity has been allocated to all other candidate groups. If you are selected, you will receive an invitation to apply in late January 2019.
You may also need to submit documentation relating to your PGT. Please see the following requirements for submitting PGT information:
Stay up to date
Receive notification for pre-application to a future session.Subscribe
How to apply to the MCCQE Part II
In order to be able to apply to the MCCQE Part II, you must add your name to a pre-application list during the designated pre-application period through your physiciansapply.ca account. For approximate pre-application period dates, see Examination at a glance.
We will be randomly selecting applicants from the pre-application list, based on available exam capacity. If you are selected, you will receive an invitation to apply through your physiciansapply.ca account.
During the application process, you will be asked to choose up to three exam centres in order of preference. The MCC will make every attempt to accommodate your centre preference(s). If you choose only one centre, your likelihood of being assigned to it does not improve.
If the MCC has previously reviewed all the necessary documentation, you may receive quick notification that your MCCQE Part II application has been accepted. Otherwise, please allow up to three weeks for your application to be processed.
Accessibility and test accommodations
If you have a documented disability, functional limitation or special need, you may be able to receive test accommodations. Visit the Accessibility and test accommodations page to learn more.
Can I be notified when application opens to a future session?
If you would like to be notified for pre-application to a future session, please submit your email address by clicking on SUBSCRIBE above.