Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)
The Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) is a service provider contracted by the Medical Council of Canada (MCC) to source verify international medical credentials.
What happens when medical credentials are sent to the ECFMG?
After the MCC reviews your medical credentials, they are sent to the ECFMG for additional review that involves the following steps:
- It can take up to five days, after receiving the copies of your medical credentials, for the ECFMG to send your medical credentials to the institution that issued them along with a verification certificate, to be completed by the institution, confirming the authenticity of your credentials.
- It can take up to three months (or longer) for the institution to complete the verification certificate. Please note that some institutions take longer to respond to a Source Verification Request (SVR) than others.
- If the ECFMG has not received confirmation from the institution after two months, it will send another SVR to the institution. This process is repeated until three requests have been sent.
- If there is no response from the institution after two months, you may also send a message from your physiciansapply.ca account to request to have your credentials sent directly to the institution by courier service. You will be responsible for registering with a courier company and paying all related expenses.
- Verification certificates that are completed and returned by the institutions are processed by the ECFMG. If the verification is acceptable, it could take between 5 to 10 business days before you see a change in your document status in your physiciansapply.ca account. Once a positive verification is returned, you will receive a notification email.
If you already have an ECFMG International Credentials Services (EICS) number and the exact same credentials have been source verified previously through the ECFMG, you will still need to create an SVR and send your documents to the MCC for review. These documents will then be sent to the ECFMG to confirm that they were successfully source verified. This confirmation process could take between 5 to 10 business day. Once complete, your document status will be shown in your physiciansapply.ca account.
If you have any questions about the source verification of your medical credentials, contact the MCC and not the ECFMG. You are also encouraged to contact the institution that issued your medical credentials to inquire about Source Verification Requests sent by the ECFMG.