List of suggested reference materials
Subject matter for examination questions is guided by the Objectives for the Qualifying Examination, published by the Medical Council of Canada (MCC). The MCC does not require candidates to purchase or use any particular reference. The following textbooks may be used by MCC test committees to validate examination questions.
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), 5th ed., 2013.
- Andreasen, Nancy C., Black, Donald, W., Introductory Textbook of Psychiatry, 6th ed., American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc., 2014.
- Behrman, K., et al (eds.), Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 20th ed., Elsevier, 2016.
- Benjamin, I., et al. (eds.), Andreoli and Carpenter’s Cecil Essentials of Medicine, 9th ed., W.B. Saunders, 2015.
- Decherney AH, Nathan L, Goodwin TM, Laufer N: Current Diagnosis & Treatment, Obstetrics & Gynecology, 11th ed., McGraw Hill, 2012.
- Hacker, N.F., Gambone, J.C., Moore, J.G. Essentials of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 6th ed., Elsevier, 2016.
- Kasper, D., et al (eds.), Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine, 19th ed., McGraw-Hill, 2015.
- Lawrence, P.F., Essentials of General Surgery, 5th ed., Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2012.
- Rudolph, A.M., et al. (eds.), Rudolph’s Pediatrics, 22nd ed., McGraw-Hill, 2011.
- Schwartz, S.I., et al. (eds.), Principles of Surgery, 10th ed., McGraw-Hill, 2014.
- Eley, J., et al. (eds.), Medical Epidemiology: Population Health and Effective Health Care, 5th ed., McGraw-Hill Medical, 2015.
- Heymann, D.L., Control of Communicable Diseases Manual, 20th ed., Washington, D.C., The American Public Health Association, 2014.
- LaDou, J. (ed.), Current Occupational & Environmental Medicine, 5th ed., McGraw-Hill, 2014.
- Levy, B.S., et al, Occupational and Environmental Health: Recognizing and Preventing Disease and Injury, 6th ed., Oxford University Press, Feb. 8, 2011.
- Public Health Agency of Canada, Canadian Immunization Guide, 2015. Retrieved from: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/cig-gci/index-eng.php.
- Shah, C.P., Public Health and Preventive Medicine in Canada, 5th ed., W.B. Saunders Canada, 2003.
LEGAL, ETHICAL AND ORGANIZATIONAL ASPECTS OF MEDICINE
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, and Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans, December 2014. Retrieved from: http://www.pre.ethics.gc.ca/eng/policy-politique/initiatives/tcps2-eptc2/Default/.
- Canadian Medical Association; CMA Code of Ethics, 2004, http://policybase.cma.ca/dbtw-wpd/PolicyPDF/PD04-06.pdf
- Canadian Medical Protective Association, Medico-Legal Handbook for Physicians in Canada, 7th ed., 2010. Retrieved from: https://www.cmpa-acpm.ca/documents/10179/24891/com_16_MLH_for_physicians-e.pdf
- Canadian Medical Protective Association, Good Practices Guide: Safe care – Reducing Medical-Legal Risk. Retrieved from https://www.cmpa-acpm.ca/serve/docs/ela/goodpracticesguide/pages/index/index-e.html
- Collège des médecins du Québec, Code de déontogie des médecins, http://www.cmq.org/publications-pdf/p-6-2015-01-07-fr-code-de-deontologie-des-medecins.pdf
- Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans (Medical Research Council [MRC], Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council [NSERC] and Social Sciences Humanities Research Council [SSHRC])
- Evans, K.G., A Medico-Legal Handbook for Physicians in Canada, 6th ed., 2005.
- Evans, K.G., Consent: A Guide for Canadian Physicians, 4th ed., 2006. Retrieved from: https://www.cmpa-acpm.ca/en/-/consent-a-guide-for-canadian-physicians.
- Hébert, P.C., Doing Right: A Practical Guide to Ethics for Medical Trainees and Physicians, 3rd ed., Toronto, ON: Oxford University Press, 2014.
Shah, C.P., Public Health and Preventive Medicine in Canada, 5th ed., University of Toronto Press, 2003.
OTHER ONLINE REFERENCE MATERIALS
The following online reference materials may also be of use to candidates preparing for MCC examinations:
- The Communication and Cultural Competence Orientation program on physiciansapply.ca
- The Canadian Medical Protective Association eLearning program
- The Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada’s Primer on Population Health
- The Compendium of Pharmaceuticals and Specialties (CPS)